Back in Moratinos

Friday, January 8, 2010 by Johanna , under , ,

After five weeks of walking and close to eight hundred kilometers, leaving the Camino was tough.

When you're walking, all you have to worry about is what you'll eat for dinner that night, how much chocolate you have left in your stash and where the next albergue is. You know that whatever happens, you'll have a place to sleep, people around you who are doing the same thing you are, a way of communicating just by being a pilgrim that means you're generally understood. And you walk, you sleep and you eat. Life is simple and secure, and wonderful.

Leaving the Camino is a complete culture shock all over again. Trying to get out of Santiago over New Year and a weekend even more so. You don't realise when you're walking exactly how sheltered and safe everything is. No planning, no bus tickets, no accommodation that needs to be found a booked. Suddenly you have all those things and more if everything is closed due to a public holiday and a weekend, and you're thrown right into the deep end. We tried to get out of Santiago on two days, first to Finisterre, and then to Leon, only to have to stay another night because the trains and busses had already left for the day. We finally managed to get to Leon, the place we chose to flee to simply because we liked the city and knew there was a youth hostel, on the third day of trying-to-get-somewhere, on a six hour train trip that was quite an experience. From there we had two days to regroup and think of our attack strategies for the next few weeks until we fly out to Germany.

For now, we decided to return to Moratinos and Rebekah and Paddy, who have been wonderful enough to put up with us for the last two days and pick us up from the train station in Sahagun. I think I could deal with life here at the Peaceable Kingdom - I sleep a lot, help out around the house, go for long walks along the Camino and reminisce, and do other fun things like cleaning out the chicken coop with Ariel and Kim, another woman staying here for a while. She's one of those serene people, who found that after the Camino life just wasn't the same anymore and things had to be rethought. She sold her place in Florida and is now drifting a bit, hoping to volunteer as a hospitalera in some of the albergues, I think. Having such a lovely place to relax for a few days is great and just what I needed after the first few days of non-pilgrim travel. Tomorrow night we are catching the train back to Leon and from there a bus to Barcelona, where John (who jumped in just a day or two ago) arranged for us to live in a friend's flat there. That's what I call awesome luck and awesome friends. (Thanks, John.)

Today was a beautiful day, inside and outside. In the morning I revamped my blog with Kim's help - she's a graphic designer or something like that and showed me how to use photoshop to make custom headers and all that. Must get photoshop when I'm in Germany! The photo is of the Puente de Magdalen in Pamplona, one that I took myself, a very beautiful medieval bridge crossed by thousands of pilgrims every year. Later, we walked through the frozen fields with the dogs, Una (a scruffy-looking, one-legged pirate of a dog) and Tim (a more placid dog who demands attention from everyone), helped clean the little church here in Moratinos and were invited over for tea and Rascon de los Reyes (Christmas cake) mucked out the chicken coop and enjoyed the glorious sunshine with Murphy (the most gorgeous cat I've ever met apart from Sekhmet, my own!) curled up on my lap.

And that's actually all there is to report from this land! I'm planning on continuing to update the blog while I'm in Germany, as well as wherever I find myself along the way. I'd like to do some woofing in Italy like a friend from the bookshop in Australia did, and maybe in France as well. And then, I've decided (and already started researching) about my next Camino - I'd like to walk a longer route for two months or so before I have to head back to Australia, from say September through October and into November a little. I'm tossing up between the Le Puy route and the Arles route and Camino Aragones route which joins up with the Frances in Puente la Reina. What does everyone think? The Le Puy route is more populated and has more infrastructure, while the Arles route is quieter but also has less infrastructure. Will there be to many people on the Le Puy route in the Holy Year in September still?

Adios Amigos!

8 Responses to 'Back in Moratinos'

January 8, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Comment by Kiwi Nomad.

As someone who has walked the Le Puy route I suppose I could be accused of bias..... but I say do it! I loved the landscapes and the people I met, and the places I passed through....I could be wrong, but I think that Le Puy is not likely to be affected by Holy Year numbers in September.... http://chemincamino08.blogspot.com/
There is another route down south too that leads you along near the Pyrenees and then through Lourdes, - the Voie du Piemont Pyreneen, then across the Somport Pass and along the Camino Aragones. This is a site with great photos for that- check out each 'etape' on the side bar:http://vppyr.free.fr/vpp-index-etapes.php3 It is one I am thinking of walking 'next time'- as well as the route from Cluny to Le Puy.

January 8, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Comment by Kiwi Nomad.

Hey and I think it's grand you are going to Barcelona: I could hang out in Gaudi's Parc Guell for days. And Sagrada Famiglia is one of the wonders of the modern world imo- the way the 'trees' branch upwards into arches is just incredible...

January 8, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Comment by Sil.

Dear Jo - you have been suffering from the PPB's (Post Pilgrimage Blues). It is el camino's version of 'Shell Shock'!! (Pun intended).
You could walk the Via Francigena to Rome. Then you will be a Romea and a Peregrina (as first described by Dante).
Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will do it well.
Big pilgrim hug!
Sil

January 13, 2010 at 1:21 AM

Comment by Johanna.

Oh Sil... You are a genius. I'm completely hooked on the idea of going to Rome now, even though I think I may wait for a little bit so that my stepdad doesn't have a heart attack because of the Italians! Have to do some more research... that's me, research girl.

January 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Comment by Coast to Coast 2018.

Hi Jo,
I have really enjoyed your blogs and amazing pilgrimage experience. We walked from Le Puy to Santiago 6 years ago and loved the beautiful landscape and villages through rural France. This year we are leaving Seville in May to walk the VDLP route to Santiago. Good luck with future plans. I intend to follow your blog....you write so well!
It would be fun to meet you in Queensland one day.
Cathy and Chris from Brisbane.
PS We didn't have the advantage of Ivar's website or any of these blogs for our 2003 walk, so 2010 will be quite different!

January 6, 2011 at 8:17 AM


I walked the Arles from Toulouse to Auch to Pau to Jaca in 2005 and it was very pleasant rolling countryside with lots of historical stuff (especially for Canadians, as this was Henri IV's turf, and he was one of the founders of Canada) but---- there is not a lot in the way of infrastructure, and little in the villages. Often there is not even a café, so food and accommodation planning plays a bigger part. That said, the locals were very helpful and warm and you should have a great time. Speaking some (or at least trying to) French will help a lot.

April 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM


Hi there, just changed into alert to your blog via
Google, and found that it’s really informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels.

I’ll appreciate if you happen to proceed this in future.
Many folks will probably be benefited from your writing.
Cheers!

Look into my website :: free microsoft points

April 18, 2013 at 2:53 AM


Yоu underѕtаnd thus ѕignificantly іn the casе of thіs matteг,
prοԁuсed me peгsonally believe іt fгom а lot of numeгous angles.
Its lіke men and women don’t seem to be invοlved excеpt it’s onе thing to aссomplish with Giгl gagа!
Υour οwn stuffs nice. At all times hаnԁle it
uρ!

Alѕo vіsit mу web-site :: microsoft points

Post a Comment