England Day 1 and 2

Saturday, November 21, 2009 by Johanna , under

So now I'm in England, at the moment, I'm in the library in Cheltenham. Margaret, who we're staying with (she's Julian's sister) here in England (in Wokingham) until we can find a flight down to Spain, had a meeting here at her daughter's school (a boarding school in this amazing, fancy building in the middle of the town) so she dropped us off in town. We've been exploring most of the morning, ate some crepes, went to the museum and learned some of the local history (from prehistory through the bronze/iron/roman age to everything regency and victorian and the present day). Pretty amazing. I think her daughter (who's a year younger than me) is going to take us to Windsor castle tomorrow or something like that, so we get to see some of the sight in this area as well. And we're going to go explore London as well tomorrow or the day after, and then we'll be heading off for Spain, landing in Bilbao, probably.

The flight from Korea to London was long and sore and quite boring, though we did watch a lot of movies this tmie because we had our own televisions. We arrived a bit late, and then had to split up going through immigration because Ari had an Australian passport and I had an EU one. My line went really quickly, so I went to get all the luggage we had checked in from the carousels and waited for her. And waited. And waited. By the time she turned up, I was freaking out completely. Apparently the line must have been huge, and she got asked all sorts of questions as if they were trying to pin something on her. I got into a bit of trouble too (well, they asked a lot of questions) because I'm a minor, and apparently, in England it's not ok if you're a minor travelling alone. Which I'm not, because I'm with Ari, but she wasn't there of course.

So then we met Margaret, drove home (she lives in a massive Georgian house that's very, very beautiful) ate some dinner (in my case - Ari went straight to bed at around 7:30pm) and then slept. And that's all really! I was surprised at how warm it was (about 15 degrees today, and sunny); compared to Korea, where it started to snow in the morning, it's very warm indeed!

Still no photos because I haven't got my card reader with me at the moment. But maybe tonight I can upload some back at the house. Also need to book some tickets with ryanair. I wonder if we'll get anything... Hope so! That's all for now.

5 Responses to 'England Day 1 and 2'

November 21, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Comment by Unknown.

Sooo jealous. Sounds absolutely awesome!! :D :D
Love from Jet.

November 21, 2009 at 2:20 PM


hey Jo, Sounds really great! I wish i was there!!! While I was reading that it didn't feel real. it felt like i was reading a book. Anyway, hope you have fun.

P.S. writing a book for you :) tell you more about it later.

Sonja

November 21, 2009 at 2:24 PM


Hi Jo,
how far away from London downtown is Cheltenham? How lucky are you to have 15°C and nice weather in England! You'll get enough cold, believe me...
We are at melting point here, at home, it is sooo hot.
Enjoy all the culture and beautiful architecture - I am envious, too!
Hope you won't have more trouble being a "minor".
Love Mum

November 22, 2009 at 3:53 AM

Comment by Johanna.

Thanks for all the comments! You would love it here, Jet, and you too Sonja. What sort of book are you writing? And why didn't it sound real when you were reading the blog? It's pretty real for me. I've officially decided that I like travelling and England. I think I'll come back after a while in Germany.

Cheltenham is something like 2 or 3 hours from London... I'm not sure, you'll have to look in an atlas or google maps. But the highways are funny here, there's not really a speed limit and everything's in miles per hour! Strange. Pity about the hot weather in Australia... glad I'm here!!

~joey

November 24, 2009 at 6:30 PM


Hi Jo,

You are sooooooooooooooooooooo lucky. I want to be there too! I want toos ee the castle and the queen and everything else. I am so jealous. I miss you heaps.
Love ya

Lena!!!!!!!!

Post a Comment