Days 12, 13, 14 and 15 - Burgos to Carrion de los Condes

Saturday, December 12, 2009 by Johanna , under , , , ,

So I haven't updated in a while, partly because I haven't had internet and have stayed in some pretty shoddy-looking albergues (well, one, yesterday, in Fromista), and partly because I haven't felt like it the one day I did have internet. Don't know why, just felt like hanging around and not writing stuff.

Problems problems problems galore. Well, that makes it sound really bad, which isn't really tru because we've had some great fun walking and laughing and talking and taking funny photos on 'funny photo day' walking into Castrojeriz. We've stayed in Burgos, then Hontanas (we were going to stay in Hornillos del Camino, but the albergue only opened at 5:30pm and it was 1pm!), then Itero de la Vega, then Fromista, and now we are in Carrion de los Condes, where the albergue is run by the monastery of someone and the nuns are very nice. And the weather is beautiful! Really sunny, warm (around 10 degrees) and not windy anymore. And the walking is very easy, all flat, even though it does seem like you get no-where...

Anyway, problems. I'm sure you all want to know. Number one: I can put absolutely no weight on the front part of my right foot, nor flex it much or bend it. Hurts pretty bad. There's nothing to be seen, it all looks normal, but it hurts. But the blisters have all cleared up! And I peeled about three layers of skin off my little toes today where the blisters were, it was really cool how there was all nice skin underneath. That was quite fascinating. Ari was grossed out. I've been walking with painkillers and it seems to get better when I have been walking for a few kilometers. But not to worry, because we're going to have a big mid-camino break soon. Tomorrow we're going to go to Moratinos where we've (kinda) been invited to stay and from there we will walk a few ks into Sahagun and then catch a bus to Leon and chill there for a few days, because Rachel has to go back to Madrid and we're going to have some fun together in Leon before she has to go. We'll be just voer halfway then, so we're having a decent break.

Wow, halfway. Seems really little, actually, because it feels like I've been walking for years. Strange, huh?

Anyway, the other problem is that since staying in Itero de la Vega a night or two ago I've had a couple of bites on my hands and wrists and now I'm really paranoid about having caught bedbugs with my sleeping bag because I can't wash it and no-one speaks English at the moment and I don't know what to dooooooo. On the forum they all say to wash stuff really hot or freeze it but how can I wash my sleeping bag to get rid of them and I don't know how to go into a farmacia and ask for something to kill them and am paranoid about chemicals anyway and now that it's on my mind I keep getting really itchy all the time (but no bites anywhere except for hands) and I'm so scared of spreading them and feel guilty because I probably already have and everyone on the forums all 'you stupid pilgrims who don't do anything straight away and spread them to toher albergues!'

Anyway, now that that rants over I have to go and do some shopping, 'cos the shops are open again now. (It's 6pm now.)

2 Responses to 'Days 12, 13, 14 and 15 - Burgos to Carrion de los Condes'

December 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM


Well, that's horrible about your foot and the bites! D: I hope it's nothing serious and everything settles down ASAP.

A little holiday sounds like it'll be great for you. :) Good luck with everything, and enjoy yourselves as usual!

Love, Ish

December 13, 2009 at 5:32 AM

Comment by Rev Sandy.

Thanks, Jo, for your blog. As a past peregrino (2008, St JeanPDP to Santiago) I'm enjoying your postings a bunch. Thanks for sharing so honestly, and congrats on overcoming your blisters.

Post a Comment