Days 19 and 20 - Reflections in Leon and Villar de Mazarife

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 by Johanna , under , , ,

Yesterday was one of those days that make the camino a pilgrimage and not simply a long-distance walk. I'm not going to go into details, because it's my thoughts and contemplations and they can't really be shared, but I worked some things out, thought some things through, contemplating the whole idea of why I was here, what I was doing and what I had achieved after almost three weeks and 500km of walking. I guess it was time for something to happen on an emotional-spiritual level. 

And today I'm happy. The sun is shining even though the temperatures are in the minuses and the streams have been encased in a good centimeter or more of ice, the albergue is decorated with pilgrim drawings, sketchs and quotes all over the walls in a wild, free, organic, creative mosaic of people and nationalities and lives (although the computer room isn't heated!), and we're cooking potato goulash together for dinner. I'm happy, really happy. Nothing can get me down today, because I'm completely and utterly at peace with everything: myself, the camino, the place of here.

After my contemplations (the teary part of them), I discovered at dinner that Attila had photos of the whole pilgrim poem that was written on the wall along the camino between LogroƱo and Najera - if you recall, the day where I was completely finished with the camino. As I walked past the wall I only managed to read a couple of sentences before I began to cry in frustration and pain and anger at the camino. Yet yesterday, the day in which I am confronted with questions of purpose and meaning and motivation, Attila shows me his photos and I find the whole poem in German (it was only written in German, Spanish and French). This is the way the camino works.

The poem in German:

Staub, Schlamm, Sonne und Regen
das ist der Weg nach Santiago.
Tausende von Pilgern
und mehr als tausend Jahr.


Wer ruft dich, Pilger?
Welch' geheime macht lockt dich an?
Weder ist es der Sternenhimmel,
noch sind es die grossen Kathedralen.


Weder die Tapferkeit Navarras,
noch der Rioja Wein.
Nicht die Meeresfruechte Galiziens
und auch nicht die Felder Kastiliens.


Pilger, wer ruft dich?
Welch' geheime macht lockt dich an?
Weder sind es die Leute unterwegs,
noch sind es die unendlichen Tradizionen.


Weder Kultur und Geschichte,
noch der Hahn Santo Domingos.
Nicht der Palast von Gaudi
und auch nicht das Schloss Ponferradas.


All'dies'sehe ich in Vorbeigehen,
und dies' zu sehen, ist Genuss;
doch die Stimme die mich ruft
fuehl ich viel tiefer in mir.


Die Kraft, die mich vorantreibt;
die Macht, die mich anlockt;
auch ich kann sie mir nicht erklaeren:
Dies kann allein nur Er dort oben!

My Translation:

Dust, mud, sun and rain,
that is the way to Santiago.
Thousands of pilgrims
and more than thousand year.

Who call you,pilgrim? 
What power calls you forwards?
It is not the starry sky,
nor the giant Cathedrals.

It's not the bravery of Navarra,
nor the wine of la Rioja,
not the seafood of Galicia,
and not the fields of Castilla.

Pilgrim, who calls you?
What power calls you forwards?
It is not the people travelling,
nor the unending traditions.

It is not culture or history,
nor the cockerel of Santo Domingo,
not the palace of Gaudi
or the castle of Ponferrada.

All this I see in passing,
and to see it, is bliss.
But the voice that calls me
comes from much deeper inside me.

The strength that pushes me onwards,
the power that calls me forwards,
even I cannot explain it - 
only He above can do that.

You know how people always say that it's the intention that counts? It's not. It's just doing it.

8 Responses to 'Days 19 and 20 - Reflections in Leon and Villar de Mazarife'

December 16, 2009 at 6:46 AM

Comment by Sil.

Dear Peregrina-Jo. You have passed through tyour baptism of fire and from now on you will be in the Zen-Zone! You will be able to recognize pilgrims who are just starting out by their scared, nervous, twitchy looks and actions. Keep warm in the mountains, stop for a coffee or stay the night with Tomas at Manjarin - you won't find another place like his anywhere on the camino (or the world!)
You are doing really well girl!!
Big hug,
Sil

December 16, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Comment by Kiwi Nomad.

Jo, we used to laugh about the way we used to cry some days- it sort of goes with the territory on the Camino! But I recognise what you are saying about a change deep inside, and it is something about a deep peace and a living in the moment.

I know for me, I realised one day in the first ten days when my feet were feeling very tender, that I needed to forget my sore feet, and look at all the things around me to be thankful for. I noticed that for you, after ten days, you had somehow 'bypassed' the soreness of your feet also.

Like Sil says, take care to keep warm now in the two mountain crossings you have. And then when you come down from O'Cebreiro, enjoy your last 150km! I have enjoyed reading of your heroism and your trials and your joy!
Margaret

December 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Comment by Unknown.

Everything sounds wonderful and I'm so happy for you! Love the poem, it's beautiful. :)

Er, I'm guessing you've got your HSC results and I'm not going to ask you about them unless you want to tell me.... but could I ask you what your assessment mark for music was? Be good if you could tell me.

Love reading the blog, hope everything gets better and better for you. I'm leaving the country in 20 days so I'm pretty excited! :) I still think we should meet in Switzerland, but whatever. :)

Love from jet.

December 17, 2009 at 7:11 PM


Dearest Jo,
that is a beautiful thing happening to you and I am very happy about it!
And the poem is very beautiful, too, do you know who wrote it and when?
It depicts very adequately why I, very suddenly, from an inner yearning, made my decision to go one day...
To read your blog is a delight every time, such a good idea, please keep at it.
Wish you loads more fun and also insights.
Love, N

December 17, 2009 at 10:05 PM


Thank you Jo for sharing your blog. I have enjoyed reading it so much and will follow the rest of your journey with interest as we walked the same route 6 years ago (plus Le Puy to St Jean) and plan to walk the VDLP next May.
We come from Brisbane.

December 18, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Comment by fsgk.

Just reached your blog via Kiwi Nomad Jo, Ultreia Jo ! you will reach C. de Compostela - and as Sil says, Spend time with Tomas at Manjarin, the place has fine vibes.
Thanks too for the Poem's translation, they with your Camino will be inspiration for you in the decades ahead.

December 18, 2009 at 11:45 PM


Hi Jo,
Figured out now why I couldn't post comments: I had to enable third party cookies in firefox. All good now, I sent you an email with your UAI score today. Love Dad

February 17, 2021 at 1:38 AM

Comment by arfeen.

You have done a great job on this article. It’s very readable and highly intelligent. You have even managed to make it understandable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you.
2021 Jamb runz

Post a Comment